Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Let the race begin.

I've finally done it. I've landed my first job. According to my email, I've sent out over 70 cover letters and resumes. I've had 7 interviews and received 4 job offers. It was a painful, frustrating, and obnoxious process. There was tons of waiting, pacing, and calling Dad to ask "when can I email them again?" But now it is finally over, for this year. I have a job teaching second grade next year at a Title I school in Franklin, TN. While its just an year long interim position, I really believe that this is where I am supposed to start my career. If you had asked me a few months ago, really even a few weeks ago, I would have told you that I wanted to teach above third grade. But after some thought and conversations with my mom and a trusted professor I decided that this was a really good opportunity and that, while it would be hard, second grade would be a great place for me to start.

The scary thing? Now that I have a job, I actually have to be a teacher!!!!! School starts in less than one month (OH MY GOSH. THAT'S SOON) and I have no idea where to begin. I meet with my new teacher mentor next week and I'm sure I will discover lots of things to do. So far I have very little ready. I did write my classroom management plan last week (although I'm sure it will get drastically modified between now and August 9th) and have made labels for materials. They're pretty cute :)


My mom and I are going to do some light school supply shopping this weekend to get a little bit more done in terms of getting my classroom set up. I still have a long way to go but at least I know where I am going.


No comments:

Post a Comment